As a personal self healing exercise it is a good start to explore colours of your chakras and learn about the gifts and challenges for each chakra:
The first of the seven energy centers, Muladhara is also the most dense of them all. The main color of this chakra is red which is also the most dense color of all. The root chakra is the first chakra. Its energy is based on the earth element. It’s associated with the feeling of safety and grounding. It’s at the base of the chakra system and lays the foundation for expansion in your life.
The first chakra is associated with the following functions or behavioral characteristics:
- Security, safety
- Basic needs (food, sleep, shelter, self-preservation, etc.)
- Physicality, physical identity and aspects of self
- Support and foundation for living our lives
Orange is the color of your second chakra, which is located bellow the navel. The main energy of this color is creativity and feelings. The sacral chakra is the second chakra. It is associated with the emotional body, sensuality, and creativity. Its element is water and as such, its energy is characterized by flow and flexibility. The function of the sacral chakra is directed by the principle of pleasure.
The sacral chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral functions:
- Emotions, feelings
- Relationships, relating
- Expression of sexuality, sensual pleasure
- Feeling the outer and inner worlds
Solar Plexus Chakra
Yellow. The centre of our being – the color of sunshine and the color of the third energy centre – the solar plexus chakra. The main energy of yellow is intellect. Characterized by the expression of will, personal power, and mental abilities, the energy of the third chakra or Manipura in Sanskrit is mobilized when we assert ourselves in the world. Discover its key characteristics and how to make the most of this powerful energy center.
The main meanings associated with the third chakra are:
- Will, personal power
- Taking responsibility for one’s life, taking control
- Mental abilities, the intellect
- Forming personal opinions and beliefs
- Making decisions, setting the direction
- Clarity of judgments
- Personal identity, personality
- Self-assurance, confidence
Green is the main heart chakra color. It is the color of healing, balance, tranquility, and serenity. Green brings wholeness to our lives and it is the color most frequently found in nature. The heart chakra, or Anahata in its original Sanskrit name, colors our life with compassion, love, and beauty. Driven by the principles of transformation and integration, the fourth energy center is said to bridge earthly and spiritual aspirations.
The main meanings or functions associated with the heart chakra are:
- Love for oneself and others
- Relating, relationships
- Compassion, empathy
- Forgiveness, acceptance
- Transformation, change
- Ability to grieve and reach peace
- Compassionate discernment
- Center of awareness, integration of insights
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra and its color is blue. It is one the three primary colors. The main energy of blue is communication and it is the color used to soothe the soul. The Throat chakra is the fifth chakra. Located at the center of the neck at the level of the throat, it is the passage of the energy between the lower parts of the body and the head. The function of the Throat chakra is driven by the principle of expression and communication.
The Throat chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral characteristics:
- Expression, in particular ability to express your truth, to speak out
- Communication, whether it’s verbal or non-verbal, external or internal
- Connection with the etheric realm, the more subtle realms of spirit and intuitive abilities
- Propensity to create, projecting ideas and blueprints into reality
- Realizing your vocation, purpose
- Good sense of timing
Third Eye Chakra
Indigo is the color of the sixth energy centre – your third eye chakra. It is the color that opens the consciousness and brings awareness to higher planes and connects us with the spiritual world. The third eye chakra is the sixth chakra. Located on the forehead, between the eyebrows, it is the center of intuition and foresight. The function of the third eye chakra is driven by the principle of openness and imagination.
The third eye chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral characteristics:
- Perception of subtle dimensions and movements of energy
- Psychic abilities related to clairvoyance and clairaudience especially
- Access to mystical states, illumination
- Connection to wisdom, insight
- Motivates inspiration and creativity
Violet is the color of the crown chakra and it is the color of cosmic awareness and cosmic consciousness. It is a unifying color, the color of oneness and spirituality. The energy of this color is very healing and can soothe away pain. The crown chakra is the seventh chakra. Located at the top of the head, it gives us access to higher states of consciousness as we open to what is beyond our personal preoccupations and visions. The function of the Crown chakra is driven by consciousness and gets us in touch with the universal.
The crown chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral characteristics:
- Awareness of higher consciousness, wisdom, of what is sacred
- Connection with the formless, the limitless
- Realization, liberation from limiting patterns
- Communion with higher states of consciousness, with
- Ecstasy, bliss
Identify your blockages and use the heart to discover which chakra you need to work on.